Western Railway Preservaton Society

- WSLCo Caboose #3 History -

The old West Side Lumber Company, located in Tuolumne CA, had an unusual collection of shop-built cabooses which were used on the company's 3-foot gauge logging line.

Two of the earliest cabooses, built around 1920, were rather short with a 16' length. Caboose #3 was used in the woods for three decades, and was then modified for storing locomotive sand in the early 1950's. Located at West Side's woods Camp 45, caboose #3 provided dry sand to a host of West Side's 3-truck Shays until the end of operations in the early 1960's. Caboose #4 followed a different path, being retired in 1940, and then brought back into regular service in 1946 as caboose #6.

After the West Side shutdown in the 1960's caboose #3 became part of the West Side & Cherry Valley tourist railroad in 1968, running on part of the old West Side mainline. Major changes were made to #3, including large side and end windows, and the interior was stripped and replaced by benches. The WS&CV was bought by Glen Bell of Taco Bell fame in 1976, and became part of a theme-park railroad which lasted into the early 1980's. In 1986, after the sell-off of WS&CV assets, caboose #3 was moved to an RV park located north of Trinidad, CA, where it has sat for almost 25 years.

< Back to WSLCo Caboose #3 Restoration